First Composite Radio Company
Fleet Marine Force Pacific
|History of 1st Composite Radio Company (Page 1)|
1st Composite Radio Company has a storied past which begins
in World War ll. Due to the varied names assigned over the years, this narrative will refer to 1st
Radio as ďThe UnitĒ.
In January, 1962, 42 Marines from 1
In January, 1962, 42 Marines from 1st Composite Radio Company, FMF, designated as Sub Unit #1, were the first U.S. Marines to participate in the ongoing build-up which was to evolve into the Vietnam War.
On June 16, 1943, the unit was first activated at Linda Vista Camp, Camp Elliott, San Diego, CA as 2nd Radio Intelligence Platoon, Signal Company, Amphibious Corps, Pacific Fleet. In 1943 and 1944, the unit served at Guadalcanal; Noumea, New Caledonia and Peleliu in the Western Pacific.
In October, 1944, the unit was re-designated as 2nd Separate Radio Intelligence Platoon. Between November, 1944 and January, 1945, the unit relocated to Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, then on March 21, 1945 was deactivated. On June 9, 1945, the unit was reactivated as 2nd Separate Intelligence Platoon, Headquarters Company, Force Signal Battalion, Fleet Marine Force (FMF), attached to Pacific Fleet Radio Unit #128. Again, on September 28, 1945, the unit was once again deactivated.
The unit remained deactivated until September 16, 1958 at which time it was reactivated at Camp Smith, Territory of Hawaii, as
1st Radio Company, assigned to FMF, Pacific. In June, 1959, 1st Radio Company relocated
to Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS), Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, Hawaii. On September 8, 1959, the unit was re-designated as 1st
Composite Radio Company. Due to the influx of manpower, it was re-designated as 1st
Radio Company on September 17, 1963
and again as 1st Radio Battalion on July 14, 1964.
As previously stated, in January 1962, by
order of then Secretary of Defense McNamara, 1st Composite Radio Company
deployed a detachment of Marines, identified as Sub Unit #1, to Pleiku, South
Vietnam. Pleiku is located in the Central Highlands of South Vietnam (SVN) known
militarily as II Corps. Established as a four month rotational (training) effort
and being attached to the U.S. Army Security Groupís 3rd Radio Research Unit
(3rd RRU) based at Davis Station, Saigon, SVN, the detachmentís mission was to
gather information on the movements, disposition and assist in developing the
intensions of North Vietnam and Viet Cong military organizations in support of
the 3rd RRU and U.S. forces in Vietnam. The unit was billeted at an Army of
Vietnamís base which also housed U.S. Military Army Advisory and Assistance
For information about this site, contact: email@example.com